Re: [opensuse] SUSE repository
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 12:56:02 +0100

Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>> Definitely get rid of ZMD on 10.1
>>> http://opensuse-community.org/Package_Sources
>>> http://opensuse-community.org/Package_Sources/10.1
>
> It doesn't explain there what removing ZMD would affect.

Your system will work better. Less resource scamming because ZMD is gone
and the zypp backend works better anyway.

Using the ZMD backend involves syncing the repository metadata that is
fetched by yast2 with the ZMD backend, for every repository.
That means a lot of overhead as the metadata is most probably synced
twice, which in turn is part of the reason the yast2 module takes half
an hour or more to refresh repositories on your system.
Even more so on 10.1.

> | Sources here can either be added using YaST, or by using the rug
> | command-line tool, or thirdly by using the excellent Smart package
> | manager. Since there were problems with ZMD (of which rug is the
> | command-line tool) we recommend that you use the Smart Package Manager,
> | instead of YaST and rug.
>
> If removing ZMD means not using Yast, I don't see how that would solve
> Yast speed problem!

It does, because ZMD is the reason for the "yast speed problems" as far
as the package management module is concerned.

Using smart means using smart for package management instead of yast2.
Of course, you can still use the other yast2 modules, they're perfectly
fine.

Actually you can still use yast2 as your package manager on 10.1, just
remove ZMD and the yast2 ZMD backend as explained on the wiki page, and
yast2 will fall back to the zypp backend.
That one works fine, uses less resources, doesn't involve syncing.
You'll just lose the zen-updater applet for the systray.

On 10.2 there's the opensuse-updater applet when using the zypp backend.

>>> Most servers don't provide rsync but only HTTP and/or FTP.
>>> And it wouldn't help much anyway because when the metadata is generated
>>> again, all the metadata files are modified. RPM-MD metadata files are
>>> even gzipped, so it's very unlikely rsync's binary deltas would be a big
>>> help to reduce the download size.
>
> The repodata directory of packman contains about 2.5 MB for 10.2 and more
> than double for 10.1; yours is about 2 Mb. That's very noticiable for a
> modem. If than could be reduced somehow, it would be very nice. For a
> modem that means... seven minutes download. For an adsl at 100KB/S it's
> under a minute, not important compared to the half an hour it takes
> processing or who knows what.

Well, what can I say. If we could reduce it some way, we would have done
it years ago. A magic spell won't reduce it from 2MB to 20kb.

http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2006/11/repository-stripping.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2006-12/msg00033.html

cheers
- --