Re: [opensuse] SUSE repository
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 11:12:33 +0100

Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Monday 2007-01-01 at 14:37 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
>>> Each configured repository can individually be set to "Refresh" or not.
>>> Only when the repository's refresh is "on" does it retrieve the content
>>> information every time you launch the Software Management module.
>
> Where is that explained? :-o
>
> It sounds very interesting, but even firing the part of yast to change
> repos is half an hour.

>>> Repositories that change infrequently are better left with their refresh
>>> off. If they happen to change at some point, you can refresh them
>>> manually in the Installation Source YaST module
>
> Firing that module takes half an hour or more in my system (10.1).

Definitely get rid of ZMD on 10.1
http://opensuse-community.org/Package_Sources
http://opensuse-community.org/Package_Sources/10.1

>>> It's true that if a given configured repository is under load too great
>>> for it to bear that launching Software Management can take a very long
>>> time to get to the point of interaction with that module, but I don't
>>> see a practical alternative, since the installer really needs to have
>>> up-to-date information on the state of the repository from which it is
>>> retrieving packages to install.
>
> It could use an rsync method instead of full download of the metadata.

Most servers don't provide rsync but only HTTP and/or FTP.
And it wouldn't help much anyway because when the metadata is generated
again, all the metadata files are modified. RPM-MD metadata files are
even gzipped, so it's very unlikely rsync's binary deltas would be a big
help to reduce the download size.

cheers
- --