Re: [opensuse] Getting rid of "Marching Penguins"
  • From: Glenn Holmer <gholmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 12:11:34 -0600
On Sunday 31 December 2006 13:11, ianseeks wrote:
> It makes you wonder why a business is not using a business product
> and also why they are installing 10.2 immediately after its been
> released - not a sensible thing to do particularly if it had a show
> stopper like 10.1 did with its new mono'ed download programs (and the
> 10.2 version is still not quite there)

I was very active during the 10.2 alpha/beta phase, so I knew it was
going to be a good release. We are between two large projects at work
and I want 10.2 partly to get the latest Subversion and Berkeley DB
(because we are switching from CVS). I would rather have that degree
of freedom than be tied to the longer release cycle of SLES, and my
boss trusts me with that decision. I've been using Linux since '95, so
it's not like we need a lot of hand-holding.

The only downside so far has been bug 219496, one of whose dupes had the
comment "I don't see this as blocker as only smartarray controller are
affected and that's more a typical sles hardware." But there's a
workaround, so we're OK there.

--
Glenn Holmer (Q-Link: ShadowM)
http://www.lyonlabs.org/commodore/c64.html