Re: [opensuse] Which flavor of openSUSE for Intel Core Duo chipset
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 16:03:44 +0000

Randall R Schulz wrote:
> [...]
>
> What sort of an application mix do you run?

We develop and run software for seismic data processing on our Linux
clusters (some 64-bit, some 32-bit). In other words, it's mainly number
crunching. We saw performance differences of up to 30% on the same
hardware. We asked Intel about this unexpected behaviour but they've not
been able to come up with an explanation yet, it's still under
investigation. I agree with you that Xeon's and Core 2 Duo's
characteristics might differ, but nevertheless it's an interesting
observation. Unfortunately, I can't give any more details at the moment.

Cheers, Th.