Re: [opensuse] Which flavor of openSUSE for Intel Core Duo chipset
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 07:09:16 -0800
On Monday 01 January 2007 06:51, Thomas Hertweck wrote:
> Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > On Friday 29 December 2006 18:53, John Andersen wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> It will work with either i386 or X86_64, but in my tests its
> >> faster using x86_64. (aka EMT64).
> >
> > What are those tests? My on-line research indicates that there are
> > but a very few circumstances in which the Core 2 Duo chips are
> > faster when used in their 64-bit mode.
>
> I have no experience with Intel Core 2 Duo chips yet, but with Intel
> Xeon server CPUs which allow to use 32-bit or 64-bit OS and/or
> software. Our experience is that we get (same hardware specs; same
> software) up to xx% better performance using x86_64, i.e. we've made
> similar experiences to John.

I don't think Xeon's characteristics are entirely identical to those of
the Core 2 architecture so it's not reasonable to expect identical
performance characteristics. When I was looking into this I didn't pay
too much attention to any Xeon numbers I found along the way, but I do
seem to recall that some testers found that the Xeon's advantage in
64-bit mode was greater than that seen with Core 2 processors.

What sort of an application mix do you run?

> Cheers, Th.

RRS