[opensuse] Re: [opensuse-security] Security report from rkhunter on default install of openSUSE 10.2
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 15:28:03 -0900
On Sunday 31 December 2006 10:04, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> You will have to ask somebody who really knows how udev works to say what
> are those files for, or if some of them shouldn't be there and a bug is
> involved. But I don't feel they are a security risk, just things rkhunter
> doesn't know about and hasn't been updated to know.

I agree with Carlos.

The best advice is to turn on Novell's AppArmor and forget about
examining every little thing in the file system.

/dev and /proc are virtual file systems anyway (the files in there don't even
really exist on the disk), and best left to the system to manage.

If you really want to know what is using a file do
losf | grep "name of file"

The basic advice is have a beer, its new years, you are not
running windows, so stop worrying.

Suse installs rather securely, Don't run any services you don't need
and you will be fine. Unlike windows, you can put a fresh Suse install
directly on the internet without a router or firewall and you will
be quite safe.

It sounds like someone read the same web-zine about root kit hunter
that every other ex-windows-addict saw and didn't realize
it was written by another ex-windows-addict, with no real
understanding about Linux.