Re: [opensuse] Asus M2N SLI
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:41:28 -0500
BandiPat wrote:

[snip]

I've probably had one or two asus boards, but they were during the time they were trying to make a name for themselves and were of good quality. I never used one with the SiS chipset and I know it was questionable during the asus good days. Recently though, and I think that may have been one of our first confrontations, the boards I've used with SiS have been grade A boards. Some of the best Linux supported chipsets I've ever used in recent years!

They've probably gotten better since my experience with them (SiS), but once burned badly, I tend to not try something again. I don't have time to mess around with something that has been so problematic in the past.

I've found some others as well, when building systems, but I'm not one to go after the absolutely latest thing out either. I'm really wanting to try some of the ATI chipset AMD 64 motherboards now as I think they are better than the nVidia models, from the tests I've reviewed. I also would love to get hold of some PPC motherboards. I keep hoping I'll run into someone wanting to rid themselves of some G4 or G5 Apple systems. The PPC cpu is one of the best to come along in a very long time and I believe it will ultimately be a bad move on Apple's part to get away from them.

AMD has a golden opportunity to propel ATI to the forefront in graphic boards, chip sets, and support - IF they will simply do what's in their best interest and open up the firmware code! I don't expect to see that happen, but certainly would welcome being wrong.

Happy New Year!

Fred