Re: [opensuse] Changing users temp folder
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 07:49:19 -0800

> Not exactly, not completely. When you click on a pdf file or any
> other file type the browser (which ever browser) knows how to handle,
> it offers to open or download it. If you choose open (or if have set
> the browser to always open, don't ask), before opening it, it will be
> downloaded somewhere, and the browser (mozillla, for instance) does
> not ask where that temporary download will go; what I have seen is
> that it goes to a random named file somewhere under /tmp.

I know this is a bit of a tangent, but I'll mention it because I think
it's so useful. There is a Firefox plug-in named "PDF Download" which
gives you the choice on each PDF file accessed to download it or view
it in-browsers (assuming the Adobe Reader / Acrobat plug-in is
installed). It can also perform an HTML conversion for in-browser
viewing if you don't have the plug-in. Most of the time, I don't want
to view PDFs in the browser, but I also don't want to mess with the
system-level installation of the PDF plug-in.

You can find it via the Firefox Extensions download service.

> --
> Cheers,
> Carlos E. R.

Randall Schulz