Re: [opensuse] Asus M2N SLI
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 09:15:59 -0500
Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2006/12/30 20:23 (GMT-0800) Randall R Schulz apparently typed:
>

>> On Saturday 30 December 2006 20:11, Felix Miata wrote:
>>

>>> Modern mass produced components do not have a 0%
>>> failure rate.
>>>

>> We're not talking about hardware failures, are we? We're talking
>> about "support" for Linux. And that is irrelevant.
>>

> Support includes getting an RMA when one is needed, and assistance in
> diagnosing whether one is needed.
>

>>> Quite typically with modern vendors when the first 30
>>> days after purchase has passed, they require the purchaser to deal
>>> with the manufacturer if warranty issues arise. When you think you
>>> have a warranty claim, you must convince the manufacturer you have a
>>> reasonable claim before they will authorize a warranty procedure.
>>> Good luck to you overcoming this obstacle when Asus learns you use
>>> Linux.
>>>

>> I suppose your "graceful" conversations preclude lying to the
>> manufacturer, but you don't own them such a courtesy. Tell them you're
>> running Windows and the board doesn't work. It won't boot and all you
>> can do is remove it and return it.
>>

> When you're on the phone with some support tech, wanting to make your
> product work, instead of having to suffer downtime sending on an RMA,
> and he says do thus and so, and you can't because you aren't using a
> supported OS, how do you wing it? Some people are not OK with lying.

My cable company only "supports" Windows, however, I can still use their
cable modem service. In my work, I've had a bit of experience with the
main ADSL supplier. I'm working with communications equipment that
connects to the ADSL modem. If I call the help(?) desk, they won't help
me, if I can't click on the start button. They are unable or unwilling
to make any attempt to solve the problem. This is despite the fact,
that this is for a business customer and we're subcontracting to that
same company that's providing the ADSL line. Sometimes you have to be
able to work around the fact that the help desk is unable or unwilling
to help. One thing you have to bear in mind is the help desk is
generally low level staff, following a script. The trend of moving the
help desk to India has only aggravated that situation. If you can get
to someone further up, you can often get problems resolved.