Re: [opensuse] Getting rid of "Marching Penguins"
  • From: Pete Connolly <pete.connolly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 10:51:58 +0000
On Sunday 31 December 2006 08:15, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
> > BTW, that fix mentioned in the link you gave mentions that the new
> > file *must* be a jpeg file. However, the Marching Penguins is an
> > animated picture which means that it is not a jpeg - unless what I
> > read about jpegs is wrong. So how can I put my own animated pix as the
> > boot piccy?
>
> I can't really answer your question directly, but the background is
> pback.jpg, an 800x600 jpeg picture. How Steffan got the animation on it
> I really don't know (and doubt I could read the sources to understand
> not being a programmer).

On the opensuse-factory list, Steffen explained the process for disabling or
modifying the screen. The /boot/message file in an archive with the graphics
etc.

# mkdir foo - creates a working directory
# cd foo
# cpio -i </boot/message - extract the files from the message archive.

Have a look at the directory, you should see about 18 files.

# edit something - the gfxboot.cfg file contains the parameter that decides
how often the screen is shown.

# find | cpio -o >/boot/message - find all files in the working directory and
create a new /boot/message archive from them.

I haven't tried to change the graphics, but panim.jpg contains the various
penguin figues for animation, pback.jpg is the background etc. Should be
straightforward (if you have any drawing skill!)

Cheers

Pete