Re: [opensuse] Routing Question
  • From: Mike Noble <mgnoble@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:46:12 -0800
On Saturday 30 December 2006 21:30, ka1ifq wrote:
> On Sunday 31 December 2006 00:02, Mike Noble wrote:
> > > Here is the setup,
> > > Machine 1, my main machine Machine 2, Remote Machine ( in same
> > > building ) Nic 1, Network 1, connects to internet ( Nic 1, Network 1 )
> > > - possible... via router. Nic 2, Network 2, just for VNC to
> > > Machine 1 Nic 2, Network 2, just for VNC to
> > > Machine 2
> > >
> > > I think I could just do a swap cable between the two nic 2's .
> > >
> > > I haven't done much with multi-nic routing. I did a software router /
> > > firewall about 8 years ago..
> > >
> > > Thanks, Mike
> >
> > Since Machine 1 and Machine 2 are in the same building, are Nic1 on
> > both machines in the same subnet?
> > Does Machine 1 have direct access to Machine 2, ie. not haveing to
> > go through the router?
> >
> > Mike
>
> Yes they are on the same subnet, but there is no direct connect only via
> the router. I would like to do a direct connect between them just for the
> VNC and would have to be on another subnet (as I see it) , thus all the
> questions (I'm learning).
> Thanks, Mike

This does not make sense, if both machines are on the same subnet,
the router would not know which side to route to. Let me make sure
we are talking about the same thing. Example:

Machine 1 - 192.168.1.2 nic 1 on router
Machine 2 - 192.168.1.3 nic 2 on router

nic X where X is a specific nic on the router.
The subnet here is 192.168.1

Mike