Re: [opensuse] Routing Question
  • From: ka1ifq <ka1ifq@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 22:57:18 -0500
On Saturday 30 December 2006 22:26, John Andersen wrote:
> On Saturday 30 December 2006 16:38, ka1ifq wrote:
> > >
> > > What is an "endpoint"?
> >
> > Thanks for the info John.
> >
> > The plan was to have a seperate connection for only 2 machines so I
> > could use VNC between them to not hog the main internet network.
> >
> > By endpoint I meant that the end of the second network would be my main
> > machine, so there really needs to be no routing. It looks like I setup a
> > second nic in my main machine and point my remote machine at it.
> >
> > Thanks, Mike
>
> Ok, but its still not clear to me if you have a separate connection to
> your ISP for this second nic, or if it all leaves the building on the same
> wire.
>
> If only one connection to your ISP, there's no point in doing a second nic.
>
> VNC isn't that bad on bandwidth utilization if you set it for 256
> colors.

Here is the setup,
Machine 1, my main machine Machine 2, Remote Machine ( in same building )
Nic 1, Network 1, connects to internet ( Nic 1, Network 1 ) - possible...
via router. Nic 2, Network 2, just for VNC to Machine 1
Nic 2, Network 2, just for VNC to
Machine 2

I think I could just do a swap cable between the two nic 2's .

I haven't done much with multi-nic routing. I did a software router /
firewall about 8 years ago..

Thanks, Mike