Re: [opensuse] Getting rid of "Marching Penguins"
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 22:33:35 -0500
Benjamin Rosenberg wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2006, at 8:49 PM, James Knott wrote:
>>> you may not need to subscribe.. just search the archives.
>>>

>> Assume I'm a user who doesn't know about mailing lists and is not
>> interested in searching a mail list archive. How does he disable it?
>> If he doesn't like the desktop image, it's easy enough to change. If he
>> doesn't like KDE, he can chose Gnome during install or later. He
>> doesn't have to search archives he doesn't know about, to find the
>> answer. Why is it necessary to do that, to get rid of that penguin
>> screen?
>
> So in other words you're saying " I don't want to find the answer
> myself. I just want someone to tell me because I'm too lazy to look it
> up. " This doesn't work whether you're using Windows, MacOSX or Linux
> .. and quite frankly it makes a great many people in business
> environments or at home want to respond with GTMF. But since I'm
> feeling nice I'll GTMF for you .. and here it is and it was the first
> bloody link.

No, I'm not saying that at all. There are many customizing settings in
Linux and other OS's. They are generally easy to find. On the other
hand, this one supposedly provides instructions to edit a file, but when
you attempt to do so, you can only see junk. The average person, the
same average person who is capable of changing themes, desktop pictures
etc., is not going to find the change to fix this. If someone wants to
put some "cutsie" item in the OS, which many people may not care for,
they can damn well provide an easy way to change it, so that someone who
doesn't know where to find the answer doesn't have to search the
internet. Make it a simple setting or at least provide reasonable
instructions that work!.

How would you like it, if the desktop was always some ugly picture, and
there was no easy way to change it?

> http://homevellt.wordpress.com/2006/04/12/changing-the-grub-boot-screens/
>
> Now please stop lecturing us on what is good for a business
> environment and what isn't .. because boot screens DO NOT qualify as
> something to worry about in this instance. There are a great many of
> us who have been in corporate environments for a great many years and
> what you're saying is complete CRAP .. it's a boot screen you see for
> a few seconds when you start your computer .. w00p!

How do you know what is good for a business environment? Many want
heavily customized systems. Many are conservative and don't care for
such things. However, whatever the reason, there should be a reasonable
method for changing it, not instructions that don't work.

As for that URL, that page says Fedora. How is someone supposed to know
about that and that it applies to SUSE? Why should it be so difficult
for someone to find the instructions? They don't have to do so to
change the desktop. Also, according to what I see on that page, some
"adjustment" will be necessary to get it to work with SUSE.

Now about the provided instructions. When at that screen you press F1
for "About". The instructions say "Edit gfxboot.cfg in /boot/message.
Try and follow those directions to change it. How'd it go? Find the
file yet? What's the point in providing instructions that are flat out
wrong???

Once again, without performing far more searching than is reasonable,
how does someone who hasn't read Factory list messages, know about how
to change it? Is it in SUSE help? A man page? Is it anywhere on the
system?