Re: [opensuse] Asus P4P800 ( ICH5R ) problem when installing openSUSE 10.2
  • From: Rui Santos <rsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:22:43 +0000
Rui Santos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Hope someone can help me: I own a P4P800 Deluxe, with a ICH5R
> chipset, a DVD+-RW Drive ( PATA ) and a HD ( SATA ).
>
> When I select the install option, upon booting from the dvd, a while
> later appears a message that says that it cannot find the dvd.
> Also, the manual installation program claims that it cannot find any
> dvd/cd-rom. The HD is detected though...
>
> What can I do solve this. I'm running SuSE 10.1 like a charm...
>
> Regards,
> Rui Santos

Hi again,

I was able to solve the problem installing by NFS.

The only way I found to get the DVD-RW running, is by inserting the
ide-generic module into the initrd. The problem is that there is no UDMA
capabilities.

I've even compiled a 2.6.19.1 kernel, but had the same result.

Isn't there anyone out there that has successfully installed openSUSE
10.2 on a board that has the ICH5, and has a SATA HD and a PATA DVD-RW?
I could use some assistance on how te hardware/bios is set up.

Thanks in advance,
Rui Santos