[opensuse] Re: 'Goes along with those mad at Novell/SUSE and leave.
  • From: email.listen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 18:26:41 +0100
Am Tue, 26. December 2006 17:11 schrieb Marcus Meissner:

> > > But this is not a Linux problem, it is more a problem of the current
> > > state in the software industry where everything multimedia interesting
> > > requires per-copy royalties, NDAs, closed source and so on.
> >
> > Partially correct. Don't forget that MickySoft has and will continue to
> > do ALL it can to shut Linux OUT of the desktop maket. Some have said they
> > don't fear Linux, which is about as ignorant a position as one can take.
> > They know full well how much money they have lost in the server market.
> > They're scared spitless that the same thing will happen on the desktop,
> > and they'are RIGHT, IF and ONLY IF the issues of DRM are eliminated and
> > there's better hardware support. Applications will come along fine, if
> > there other 2 are taken care of.
>
> If you think it is just Microsoft blocking Linux on the Desktop, this is
> just not true.
>
> MP3 - Thompson / AudioMPEG group
> DVD - various consortiums, starting from The MPEG Group, Dolby
> and the DVD consortium itself
>
> WMV/WMA - well, a Microsoft problem but these could be easily replaced
> even usuable for Windows users.
>
> DRM - not really accepted even by Windows users. Or circumvented easily.
> Just walk through the city with open eye and see burned CDs played
> in CD recorders... And I just doubt all the music on the MP3 players
> is legally bought.
> DRM in my eyes is a non-issue at this time.

Hhhm, I think you are wrong here, so at least for DRM.
There was a german article on golem.de [1] which points to an interesting
english article [2] about the effects which may come along with microsofts
DRM implementation in Vista.

[1] http://www.golem.de/0612/49655.html
[2] http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

regards,