Re: [opensuse] more printer problems
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:46:48 -0600
> How can I make the system accept a simple password that I can remember?
> Just 5 characters, with or w/o a number, for instance? Anyone who really
> wants into the system will get in anyway

The motivation vs. obstacles is how it works, as with all other activities in
the life. Major problem in computer security are users that don't know much
about it and underestimate threats.

Minimum set by guys that do understand security should not be relaxed and that
is the reason to keep that information accessible for advanced users, but no
new ones.

> I've looked at man passwd, and there are only a few lines,

Agree, it should be "man login.defs" that contain relevant information, but if
you can't find the way to change it even now, please do yourself a favor and
find some 7 letters word with a one digit included that will satisfy password
check and is easy to type. Use it as universal key for all services and soon
you'll be fine with it.

Linux is considered as network operating system among other features. That
means you can login from any net, including Internet, and use it. Simple
password here is half way to trouble.

Not everyone understands how to get in, but weak protection is call for
trouble. If your computer is connected to Internet directly (no router) than
your firewall and good password are your only protection.

Some people disable firewall, some use no password, some don't lock the door,
some leave key in the car, some do all of that and it works fine just because
some other conditions are fullfilled.

The firewall can be disabled if you are on local network, behind dependable
router/firewall and you are sure that other computers are not infested with
malware.
Passwordless login is fine for computers that are not connected to a net and
only trusted persons have access to them.
Unlocked home door are fine in rural areas where only animals, or few trusted
neighbors, can access the house.
Similar is about key left in ignition lock.

You told in other message that you alone have access to computer. That shows
that you are not aware that access to computer can be physical and over the
net. Second is much more missused as most of computers lack waring if
somebody "knocks on the door" and the Internet is not rural area that lacks
bad guys.

--
Regards, Rajko.
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal