Re: [opensuse] Clone a harddisk having new space available
  • From: Bart Geesink <bart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 15:02:06 +0100
On Saturday 30 December 2006 14:05, Jan Kalcic wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm working with a virtual machine and suddenly I realized I have no
> more space on root. Then I create a bigger disk file and I copied the
> old one to the new one using dd. The problem is that now I see the right
> size of the new (bigger) hard disk through YaST and fdisk but actually I
> can use only the space I had in the old hard disk (when I use df for
> instance)
>
> Any idea to solve this problem?

You can do two things: Either you can make your filesystem bigger, if it is
supported by your filesystem (for instance for reiserfs you could use
resize_reiserfs). Or you could make a new "disk file" format it with a
filesystem of your choice, have both the old and the new "disk files" mounted
as loop devices, and copy all contents over.

Regards
Bart