Re: [opensuse] more printer problems
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 01:54:14 -0500
On Friday 29 December 2006 23:00, Kenneth Schneider wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 22:06 -0500, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> > I had my HP970Cxi working, then it failed. I managed to install it
> > again, once, and it successfgully printed a test page, but nothing since.
> > I decided to remove it, and start over. Now when I get up to the window
> > that says "settings" and "print test page" or something like that, I
> > select letter size, and then go to test, and a little "Authentication -
> > KDE Daemon" window opens in the bottom tool bar. I snap on that, and it
> > asks me for a password. I have never used more than one password on this
> > machine, but the Daemon won't take that password. What do I do now? If
> > I can't have a printer work in Linux, I will have no choice but to go
> > back to Windows, even the miserable Windows 98, which I at least have the
> > software for, somewhere. Don't send me anything I have to print out to
> > learn--I can't print anything at the moment, and the Windows machine is
> > totally kaput right now. As you can see, it's hair-tearing time on Long
> > Island!
>
> As the user root:
>
> lppasswd -a -g sys some_user_name
>
> input the password twice and you're good to go.
>
> --
> Ken Schneider
> UNIX since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE since 1998

I thank you very much for your assistance, but I have a problem:

This is what I was complaining about the other day. I don't want the damned
system to tell me what my password should look like, I want to select it
myself, whether it has only five characters, whether it has a number in it,
whether it has mixed case, etc. How can I make the system accept a simple
password that I can remember? Just 5 characters, with or w/o a number, for
instance? Anyone who really wants into the system will get in anyway--
they've gotten into the DoD and the FBI, and some super-secret British agency,
so what's the big deal? I don't have my banking information on line, and
won't.

I've looked at man passwd, and there are only a few lines, nothing to help
solve this problem, altho I think some folks had a way of modifying passwd so
you could use what you want. Unfortunately, I have no useful fecord of
that--it may have come in on the Windows machine, which is, at the moment,
hors de combat, and is likely to be for a few days, at least. I have also
looked at the 4th Edition of the Linux Bible and found no assistance. If it
is possible to change the actions of passwd, then how?

TIA, all.

--doug