Re: [opensuse] default kde fonts, 10.1 vs. 10.2
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 16:47:55 +1100
Felix Miata wrote:
On 2006/12/28 11:11 (GMT+0100) Istvan Gabor apparently typed:

I have started playing with opensuse 10.2.
I noticed that the default kde TT fonts are different from
those in SUSE 10.1. As in kde control center the names of
the default TT fonts are Sans Serif on both systems I don't
know which are the exact fonts that 10.1 and 10.2 uses,
respectively.
Where can I find this and how I could change it?
I want the same fonts on 10.2 that were default on 10.1.

Rearranging the config files so that the families are in the same order
should fix you up, assuming you have the same fonts installed.

SUSE 10.1 /etc/fonts/fonts.conf (portion):
<alias>
<family>sans-serif</family>
<prefer>
<family>Bitstream Vera Sans</family>
<family>Verdana</family>
<family>Arial</family>
<family>Albany AMT</family>
<family>Luxi Sans</family>
<family>Nimbus Sans L</family>
<family>Helvetica</family>

SUSE 10.2 /etc/fonts/suse-post-user.conf (portion):
<alias>
<family>sans-serif</family>
<prefer>
<family>Arial</family>
<family>Albany AMT</family>
<family>Verdana</family>
<family>DejaVu Sans</family>
<family>SUSE Sans</family>
<family>Bitstream Vera Sans</family>
<family>Nimbus Sans L</family>

Note that the configuration of both specifies that "Sans Serif" be
aliased to "sans-serif", so fc-match "Sans Serif" will return the same
result as fc-match "sans-serif".

Note too that DejaVu is an improved superset of Bitstream Vera, so if
you preferred Vera in 10.1, you probably want DejaVu at the top of your
list, followed by Vera, then the rest.

My personal opinion is that Arial does not belong at the top of a
generic sans-serif alias list.

Thank you for the above re-ordering of the file for 10.2. What a nice difference it has made to what now appears on the screen :-) .

Cheers.