Re: [opensuse] 'Goes along with those mad at Novell/SUSE and leave.
  • From: Bob S <usr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:53:22 -0500
On Tuesday 26 December 2006 11:11, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> If you think it is just Microsoft blocking Linux on the Desktop, this
> is just not true.
>
> MP3 - Thompson / AudioMPEG group
> DVD - various consortiums, starting from The MPEG Group, Dolby
> and the DVD consortium itself
>
> WMV/WMA - well, a Microsoft problem but these could be easily replaced
> even usuable for Windows users.
>
> DRM - not really accepted even by Windows users. Or circumvented
> easily. Just walk through the city with open eye and see burned CDs
> played in CD recorders... And I just doubt all the music on the MP3
> players is legally bought.
> DRM in my eyes is a non-issue at this time.

Well DRM will be an issue for lots of people in the future. That's for
sure.

Received a boxed set of five old 007 movies remastered and enhanced on
DVD from one of my children for Christmas. Popped one in my SuSE box,
and guess what. Wouldn't play. Got a message that I needed to upgrade.

Yep. Sony. And Barnes & Noble won't take them back because the "sealed"
set was opened. Certainly an issue for me.

Bob S.