Re: [opensuse] Has the Desktop Linux Bubble Burst?
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:47:19 -0800
On Thursday 28 December 2006 23:29, Fred A. Miller wrote:
<snip>

> > Now that they really have backed off supporting KDE (mostly IMHO because
> > of the QT license) and opted for GNOME (mainly because of the GTK license
> > - aka GPL or LGPL, whatever) and then wonder why no one except a few are
> > that enthusiastic about it - could it be as the author said, no real
> > maintainers for the GTK project? And now that they have forced SuSE and
> > their devs to back off the QT/KDE development they've essentially painted
> > themselves (and to an extent us) in a corner. Like the author said -
> > pity! (or just braindead - if the shoe fits....).
>
> Well, SUSE still has quite a few working on the KDE team, and I don't see
> that as changing.

I read the article too before you posted it and was waiting for an appropriate
time to respond, thinking either "the sky is falling" or things are
overblown.

My question is - and I wonder if any suse developers read the ot list - this:
Is novell no longer supporting KDE financially? If not, then are they taking
charge of Gnome? It would seem that a company like Novell would be far
better off if they took a stand one way or another. Either they start
managing the uglier-than-cow-manure Gnome project directly or they continue
to support the far-superior KDE. (Not that I'm biased or anything...)

I certianly hope that in-fighting does not mean we'll all be relegated to
using an inferior system such as Wintendo someday...

--
kai - theperfectreign@xxxxxxxxx

wo ist der ort für den ehrlichsten kuss
ich weiss, dass ich ihn für uns finden muss...