Re: [opensuse] Finally user-friendly virtualization for Linux
  • From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:24:06 -0500
On 12/29/06, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Dec 29 2006 09:53, Kai Ponte wrote:
>On Thursday 28 December 2006 18:44, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>> This is important for a number here.....new kernel, new BIG feature..to
>> some anyway.
>>
>> http://www.osdir.com/Article9578.phtml
>
>"by adding virtualization capabilities to a standard Linux kernel, we can
>enjoy all the fine-tuning work that has gone (and is going) into the kernel,
>and bring that benefit into a virtualized environment."
>
>Cool!
>
>Does this mean my MAME and NESticle games will run even smoother?

It means XEN becomes oboslete ;-)

I just did a little more reading. It does look like KVM is a XEN competitor.

One issue is that it does not implement paravirtualization and thus
only supports the new generation of CPUs with VT (Intel) or AMD-V
(SVN?).

Especially in the Desktop world it is going to be a while before those
are either routinely available.

XEN OTOH can support Linux Guests with standard CPUs via
paravirtualization. (Xen too needs the new CPUs for Windows Guest
OSes.)

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer