Re: [opensuse] Future hardware and support.
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 02:11:03 -0600
On 2006-12-28 22:19, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> I debated about posting this here, but decided to do so since there's
> been a lot of interest in what AMD will do with ATI in regards to
> Linux. Well, after reading the below referenced article, the question
> as to AMD's intentions is MUCH, MUCH broader, raises my blood pressure
> considerably, and leaves me wondering will happen after Jan. and Vista
> is released. The article is long, but worth the read.
>
> Fred
>
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

As a physicist, I found Note C. particularly amusing:

"In order for content to be displayed to users, it has to be copied
numerous times... If you're not versed in DRM doublethink this concept gets quite
tricky to explain, but in terms of quantum mechanics the content enters a
superposition of simultaneously copied and uncopied states until a user
collapses its wave function by observing the content (in physics this is
called quantum indeterminacy or the observer's paradox). Depending on whether
you follow the Copenhagen or many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics,
things then either get wierd or very wierd. So in order for Windows Vista's
content protection to work, it has to be able to violate the laws of physics
and create numerous copies that are simultaneously not copies."