Re: [opensuse] DHCP reserved addresses
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:35:03 -0500
Rauch Christian wrote:
> James Knott schrieb:
> > Rauch Christian wrote:

> function
> simple
> >>>
> >> Not really. I have a small network here with fixed IPs via DHCP and I
> >> simply add an entry like the one below to /etc/dhcpd.conf for each
> of my
> >> PCs:
> >>
> >> host hostname {
> >> hardware ethernet 00:11:22:33:44:55;
> >> fixed-address 192.168.0.99;
> >> }
> >>
> > That's exactly what I mentioned above. On the other hand, on a router
> > at work, I can view a list of computers (MAC addresses) getting an IP
> > address from the DHCP server and then select one and assign it a
> > reserved address.
>
> arp -a does this job. it lists currently active PCs with their MAC, IP
> and (if available) hostname.

You're missing the point. As it currently stands with Yast, I have to
find the MAC for the computer by some means, then copy it into
dhcpd.conf, along with that other info. On systems such as that router
at work, I simply located the computer MAC address or currently assigned
IP in a list, and configure it for a specific IP address and I'm done.