Re: [opensuse] Diff. between OpenSuSE and SuSE Linux Enterprise
  • From: Jay Smith <susehelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 12:32:00 -0800
The real major difference is support.

OpenSUSE is free and meant to be used as a desktop Linux.It's not suited for
enterprise usage because it's unstable, always changing, there's a lot to keep up
with. SLED on the other hand is pretty much standard. You get a few Service Packs
every so often, but for the most part, what you see is what you get.

On the otherside, The only support you get on OpenSUSE is community support and
maybe any literature you can find off of Amazon or Ebay. SLED, you get support
from Novell when you need them.

When choosing between the two, think about money, adventurous spirit, and need
for support. If you think you'll need a great deal of support, get SLED, however
it costs about $50. It isn't as up to speed as OpenSuSE is so if you want to have
fun and play with Linux, get OpenSUSE. SLED is just supposed to provide a more
stable Linux environment for businesses.

If you are a true blue Linux user, go for OpenSUSE, if you want a steady
environment use SLED. Of course, to many linux users, that level of steadiness is
boring. So if you are used to the old SuSE, get OpenSuSE.

On Wed Dec 27 12:30 , jdd sent: