Re: [opensuse] Re: Goodbye to suse and why not stay, The Linux Wall
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:27:08 +0100
Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Cooking and photography are arts.

Really? That makes my wife and I both artists. We both cook and take
pictures.

> Using a computer should not be. You have to distinguish, say, writing
> a novel or a screen play from operating word-processing software. The
> former is an art and a skill. The latter should be easy and
> straightforward enough to disappear from the mind of the person using
> it.

And it is as long as you only desire to put words on a screen. Same as
making a cup of tea or boiling an egg is easy - whereas cooking a
three-course meal for 8-10 people requires a bit more skill.

> It should _not_ be a matter of the user meeting the software (or its
> creators) half way. The software should bridge the _whole_ gap to the
> user. Period.

Why should using a computer be so easy when using other complicated
tools can require significant training, even certification?

> Of course not. They're complicated under the hood and simple to use.
> That's the same goal software must meet.

Only reasonable as long as the intended use of the computer is as simple
as the intended use of a car (e.g. transport from A to B).

/Per Jessen, Zürich

--
http://www.spamchek.com/ - managed email security.
Starting at SFr4/user/month.