Re: [opensuse] Re: Goodbye to suse and why not stay, The Linux Wall
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 02:49:34 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2006-12-26 at 13:25 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Cooking and photography are arts. Using a computer should not be. You
> have to distinguish, say, writing a novel or a screen play from
> operating word-processing software. The former is an art and a skill.
> The latter should be easy and straightforward enough to disappear from
> the mind of the person using it.

The use of word-processing software should be easy enough for everybody
being able to use it, and kids should learn that on school - preferably on
different programs. At least to the point of being able to write a letter,
if not an indexed multifile report.

However, installing and configuring the operating system, and even the
word processor, should be left to professionals. More or less, I mean, not
literally.

Ie, almost anybody can drive a car (including gearbox and clutch types ;-)
), but not everybody can change a wheel, and even less change the oil or
plugs.

> It should _not_ be a matter of the user meeting the software (or its
> creators) half way. The software should bridge the _whole_ gap to the
> user. Period.

Yes. But we should diferentiate using software and installing/configuring
it.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.