Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse and why not stay, The Linux Wall
  • From: Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:09:44 -0600
Per Jessen wrote:
> Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>
>> If my water supply is out of order, I gotta call some technician to
>> fix it. Right. So should users when they are unable to use the
>> Internet.
>
> How very accurately put! This is the situation in a nutshell. People
> believe a computer is easy to use/fix/maintain, and does not need an
> expert, yet they'll call for the TV-repairman, the dishwasher-repairman
> etc. ... where's the logic in that?
>

> /Per Jessen, Zürich

A couple years ago we bought a used, nearly new, double wide and had it
brought out to our acreage. In the repo it was left to sit through a
winter without being winterized. Every water line was busted. Call a
plumber? Not on your nelly. I pulled every bit of pipe out and replaced
it myself. Even added a drop for the ice maker. Also did the sewer
connection to the septic, the gas connection, and hooked up the wiring.
Since then I have run three new electric circuits. [ And probably
should run a third circuit into the computer room. ]

As for the TV, well, I just don't have the equipment any more. ALTHOUGH
I did once build a TV from a box full of parts. Darned thing worked
pretty good for several years. Wasn't any harder than building a
computer. Just a LOT more solder involved.

You mean they have dishwasher-repairmen now days. I do declare. What
will they think of next. Washing machine repairmen?

I can build a house. Rebuild a car. [ 20+ years as a professional
mechanic ], Cook a gourmet dinner AND bake a cake from scratch for desert.

None of these skills were learned overnight. It took a lot of sweat
equity. I don't expect Linux to work flawlessly for me right out of the
box. One thing I tell people when I talk about Linux is that there is a
learning curve. A steep one. To not expect it to be "Windows". Windows
didn't work flawlessly right out of the box for me either. I "broke" it
a lot at first. I've even managed to "break" SuSE a few times. And not
as root either. Google Linux is one of my best friends.

--
(o:]>*HUGGLES*<[:o)
Billie Walsh