Re: [opensuse] Re: memories?
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 17:26:02 -0500
Michael Nelson wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 08:17:41PM +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
>

>> FWIW you got the easy end of the stick
>>

> Stick? We had sticks too! When I first started with computers there were
> no computers, no keyboards, no monitors, no LEDs. We used the sticks to
> scratch 1s and 0s in the dirt!
>
> Dirt? You guys had DIRT? Why, when I started with computers.....
>
> <grin>
>
> Michael
>
> PS: I used to stay after work to play Dungeon on the company DEC PDP11/70 on
> a character mode terminal. Maybe it wasn't called Dungeon.. "You are in a
> maze of twisty passages, all the same" was a key line where I frequently got
> stuck.

The game is called "Adventure" and comes with SUSE. You have to install
bsd-games IIRC.

"Welcome to Adventure!! Would you like instructions?

Somewhere nearby is Colossal Cave, where others have found fortunes in
treasure and gold, though it is rumored that some who enter are never
seen again. Magic is said to work in the cave. I will be your eyes
and hands. Direct me with commands of 1 or 2 words. I should warn
you that I look at only the first five letters of each word, so you'll
have to enter "northeast" as "ne" to distinguish it from "north".
(Should you get stuck, type "help" for some general hints. For
information on how to end your adventure, etc., type "info".)
- - -
This program was originally developed by Will Crowther. Most of the
features of the current program were added by Don Woods. Address
complaints about the UNIX version to Jim Gillogly (jim@xxxxxxxx).

You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and
down a gully."