Re: [opensuse] Re: Goodbye to suse and why not stay, The Linux Wall
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:25:34 -0800
On Tuesday 26 December 2006 10:39, Simon Roberts wrote:
> [...]

Cooking and photography are arts. Using a computer should not be. You
have to distinguish, say, writing a novel or a screen play from
operating word-processing software. The former is an art and a skill.
The latter should be easy and straightforward enough to disappear from
the mind of the person using it.

It should _not_ be a matter of the user meeting the software (or its
creators) half way. The software should bridge the _whole_ gap to the
user. Period.

> > > when you buy a car, you may have a licence, and this mean
> > > you may have learned to drive it
> >
> > Of course. But once you've learned to drive, the knowledge you have
> > is pretty much equally applicable to all cars out there. They're
> > very complicated devices,
>
> You're kidding right?

Of course not. They're complicated under the hood and simple to use.
That's the same goal software must meet.

If Apple can make this happen, and they usually do, at least far better
than other software vendors, then other developers can, too.

I'm really surprised so many people are arguing that software as we now
experience it exhibits more than than an absolute minimum degree of
quality: usability, reliability, stability, predictability,
naturalness, etc.

Randall Schulz