[opensuse] Re: memories? (was: Goodbye to suse and why not stay, The Linux Wall)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 20:17:41 +0100
Michael Nelson wrote:

> Heh... memories.
>
> Before the www and Linux was around, I had been running FidoNet BBS
> systems on DOS and OS/2. I got laid off from my job and decided I
> wanted to learn something completely new (to me), so I decided to
> install Unix. A friend had a set of Esix floppies... 54 1.44MB
> floppies that made up a basic install of Everex's brand of AT&T
> SystemVR4 Unix.
>
> I installed it. Aside from the fact that it took 18 hours to do from
> floppies (and I had to do it three times because of random floppy read
> errors), when it was finished and I logged in, all I saw was "$". X?
> GUI? You've gotta be kidding, this was a text mode only install.

FWIW you got the easy end of the stick - you should have started with me
on IBM, NCR and Burroughs mainframes in 1984. X? GUI? Mouse?
Nah, everything was 80x25. We moved up to 80x32 a couple of years
later. Now that was progress! (a typical airline reservation system
today will still support the IBM 4505 terminal (the manuals went out of
print in 1974) which does only 45x15).

> I am amazed these days when I do something like a SUSE 10.2 install,
> and pretty much everything comes up configured and working.
>
> We've come a long way.

Hear hear.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

--