[opensuse] Re: this is a community distribution (was: Boxed 10.2 orders)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 19:45:57 +0100
John Andersen wrote:

> On Monday 25 December 2006 16:19, Clint Tinsley wrote:
>> But in openSuSE's defense, this is a community distribution,
>
> What part if it strikes you as a "community distribution"?
>
> Do you or I have a vote on what goes in it?

Yes you do. Well, maybe not explicitly a vote, but you do have a say.
When support for JFS disappeared in 10.0 (I believe it was), I spent
quite a lot of time arguing why and how it should be reinstated. In
10.1 JFS was back as a supported root filesystem, and with 10.2 JFS is
now back as install-filesystem, even if officially unsupported. I very
humbly believe that is at least partially because of my insisting on
it.

Perhaps openSUSE is not yet quite what'd you'd call a community distro,
but it's well under way there. Just think of the amount of time we
spend talking/arguing/thinking/cursing/worrying about it.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

--
http://www.spamchek.com/ - managed email security.
Starting at SFr4/user/month.