Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:45:23 +0100
John Andersen wrote:

> Actually my experience is that you get your answer to all solvable
> problems usually within an hour of posting on the list.
>
> Unsolvable problems (hardware problems, and those questions so arcane
> and obscure as to require kernel hackers to respond) tend to never
> get answered.

That's a little too coarse - I think questions asked here might be
better divided into:

1) Problems/questions with fairly well known solutions/answers.
Obviously does not have to be known to everybody; examples include how
to rename a network interface or configure ntp.

2) Problems that require diagnostic information and analysis of the
same. E.g. lspci/dmesg/lsusb output or excerpts from /var/log/*

3) Arcane/obscure problems that does not require a kernel hacker.

4) Unsolvable/arcane/obscure problems that does require a kernel hacker.

Type1 questions are frequently answered quite fast, quite often within
hours.
Type2 can take 24hours to a few days, but are also often answered
satisfactorily.
Type3 are occasionally answered too, but it's a matter of luck.
Type4 are rarely if ever answered.

None of these problems are "unsolvable", but 3 and 4 are hard/difficult.

Here's a type3 question - can I create an etherboot PXE boot-disk (for
booting opnesuse) with support for more than one type NIC? e.g. both
3C509 and RTL8139 ?

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

--
http://www.spamchek.com/ - managed email security.