Re: [opensuse] 'Goes along with those mad at Novell/SUSE and leave.
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 21:52:27 -0800
On Sunday 24 December 2006 19:03, J Sloan wrote:
> John Meyer wrote:
> > Fred A. Miller wrote:
> >> You can't win the desktop if you don't even try. Right now, few in the
> >> Linux world are seriously trying. And time is running out.
> >
> > I've heard this argument too many times to count.
> > With all due respect to the author, the argument is based on the
> > assumption that we want to be mainstreram, that we want everybody and
> > their grandmother to be running Linux. Personally, I don't.
>
> Unfortunately, it's not about being mainstream anymore - at this point,
> it's about viability, period.

Yes.

Oh, and I want it to be mainstream. I'm all for it. I'm not sure if the
"window" of opportunity has passed, but that's what I've been wanting for
several years now.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't want Linux to be mainstream. I'm all for
Lindows and what they're doing. If their system had worked on my hardware,
I'd be using it.

If I wanted to be using a niche OS for hobby purposes, I'd be on BeOS or Minix
or MacOS.

I want my system to work and that is why I really like Linux.

> If linux can't achieve enough of a critical mass on the desktop to matter,
> microsoft will be able to leverage control of all the onramps, so to speak,
> to the "information highway", and then it's game over. Unless of course,
> you're content to use linux on a hobbyist basis, without meaningful access
> to the most internet content, constituting nothing more than small islands
> of hopeless, irrelevant rebellion in a microsoft world.
>
> I agree with esr's contention that somebody needs to get the ball rolling,
> and to waste no time.

Subscribe!

--
kai

a turn signal is a statement, not a request