Re: [opensuse] Boxed 10.2 orders
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 15:44:33 -0800
On Monday 25 December 2006 15:21, Tom Patton wrote:
> Ok, now this is really wierd and disturbing...
>
> I just received a second reply from Digital River, and it conflicts
> with the first "backorder" excuse.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no longer any real reason to
purchase the commercial release of Novell's SuSE Linux, right?

I want to support SuSE Linux development, but there has to be some kind
of quid pro quo. As it stands, there simply is no up-side to purchasing
the commercial release. We (North American purchasers) are forced to go
through the Novell / Digital River (with whom I've had many successful
and satisfactory transactions in the past) to acquire this release,
implying there is not even the mere possibility of competitive pricing.
Furthermore, the on-line repositories contain a superset of the package
complement of the commercial product. From that perspective, it's
simply foolish to purchase this release.

It really seems that Novell does not even want to generate $ale$! My
best guess is that openSUSE is just a means of beta testing the
Enterprise products. Frankly, I'm fine with that, but I surely hope
they don't count on purchases of the SuSE Linux product, 'cause there's
just no reason to buy it.

It's not that I'm going to switch distributions, but my
several-year-long practice of buying a copy of every SuSE Linux
distribution, including a couple I didn't end up installing, seems to
be at an end.

As I said: Correct me if I'm wrong.

Randall Schulz