Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 14:15:01 -0800

> > I understand that. However, I was under the impression that's why
> > mp3's don't play out-of-box. Even though it's no big deal, I just
> > had to update xine and amarok played no problem.
>
> It isn't a copyright issue at all, but rather a patent one. Some
> idiot seems to think you can patent algorithms and therefore some
> German Company - Frauenhofer, I think - has a patent on the process
> to decode MPEG Layer 3 files. IIRC, the patent expires in about four
> years.

Yeah... As I already stated.

By the way, Fraunhofer developed the technology but Thomson Consumer
Electronics holds the patent, now.

> A ways back, some good samaritan came out with LAME - Lame Ain't an
> MP3 Encoder - to decode MP3 files using a different process than
> Frauenhofer. Unfortunately, there's some question in backwards
> countries such as the USSA whereby the decoding algorithm is under
> the same patend as Frauenhofer's.
>
> Hence, Novell doesn't want to get into any legal trouble.
>
> That's the reason to advocate OGG over MP3 whenever possible.

There are some who believe that the patent in question is written in
such a way that should they decide they want to (perhaps should they
simply feel alternatives begin to threaten their royalty stream) that
Thomson could make a tenable argument that other codec schemes, Vorbis,
e.g. (Ogg is the name of a generic container file format; Vorbis is the
name of the audio codec), are also infringing and hence no audio
compression scheme is safe from the MP3 patent.

> --
> kai

Randall Schulz