Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 13:18:31 -0800
> > You need another computer to use ftp or nfs. An usb disk is just
> > another "internal" disk on the system, but physically external. It
> > is transparent and slower, and very handy.
>
> I'm aware of all this. The computer that has all the stuff is my
> desktop; the computer I want to use for backup is the new laptop
> (already running 10.2 with ext3 filesystems).

Do I understand that you want to back up _to_ a laptop? That seems
rather odd. First of all, the disk in a laptop is far more likely to
fail than one in a desktop system. Secondly, their capacity is still
distinctly more limited than those of desktop or rack-mount systems, so
using it as a backup might prove excessively limiting in terms of what
or how much you can store. And you say this is a new laptop, so don't
you want to actually use that new laptop _as_ a laptop? You know,
portable computing and all that great stuff?

> --
>
> John Perry

Randall Schulz