Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 15:48:56 -0500
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Monday 2006-12-25 at 14:44 -0500, John E. Perry wrote:
>
>> So, two weeks ago, I got what I see as good reason -- my / partition was
>> suddenly unavailable after a zen update. fsck.reiser brought everything
>> back, but that's what finally made install 10.2 (which everyone is
>> saying is much better than 10.1 (my experince agrees).
>
> And... didn't you ever have to fsck any ext3 partition to recover from
> some dissaster, sucessfully I hope?

No. All my linux experience has been with ext2, and all my professional
experience has been with VMS, various RTOS's, MSDOS, Windows, and small
standalone systems. I never had a crash that I couldn't identify as a
hardware problem, and I never dug deep enough into linux to learn all
the intricacies of file systems and such. I only dumped Windows two
years ago because suse9.0 appeared to work well enough that I could
depend upon it for my contract work. OpenOffice was the trigger -- it
meant I could deal with clients chained to Windows without being chained
myself. So I didn't have to get XP and Office.

That's a normal thing for any
> filesystem. All can get corrupted - otherwise, the fsck utility would not
> even exist.

Sure. But it's rare enough with ext2 that I never had a problem that I
couldn't identify as a hardware disk crash, and several people on this
list complained of mysterious reiser3 partition corruption. As I say, I
didn't take them too seriously until it happened to me.

--

John Perry
Embedded Electronics