Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse and why not stay, The Linux Wall
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 20:49:56 +0100 (MET)

On Dec 25 2006 11:16, Randall R Schulz wrote:
>On Monday 25 December 2006 07:19, Mathias Homann wrote:
>>
>> Now, imagine an internet where all users know what they're doing...
>
>How much do you know about the fabrication and / or the internal
>function of these ordinary things or systems:
>
>- Automobiles

I'll answer: "Not much". (What do I care how things are designed?)
However, I _know_ how to use a car, getting from A to B.

I have almost no clue about the internal guts (C code) of Linux
Memory Management, yet I almost instanly wrote a BSD kernel driver.
The LDAP API is horribly undocumented, but maybe one day I manage to
get done what I want.

Have you ever tried the "Inferno OS"? Do so. Learn to play around
while not screwing up.

I have not driven a bus yet, but it's probably not fundamentally
different. To run a helicopter, I might need to do a lot more RTFM
and practice, but it can be mastered.

What people lack is methodology.

>If you happen to have access to The Science Channel
>(<http://science.discovery.com/>), check out a program called "How it's
>Made"
>(<http://science.discovery.com/fansites/howitsmade/howitsmade.html>)
>and you'll realize that specialization of knowledge in
>fabricating "ordinary, everyday" objects and consumables has reached an
>astonishing level.

howstuffworks.com also has lots of data.

>The point is, that it is _not_ up to users to posses in-depth knowledge
>of a technology they're using. They cannot be ignorant of the
>consequences of those technologies, lest we end up...oh, I don't know,
>rendering the planet uninhabitable...but every little detail should not
>be the responsibility of a technology consumer. That's the engineer's
>job.

If my water supply is out of order, I gotta call some technician to fix
it. Right. So should users when they are unable to use the
Internet.

-`J'