Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 14:44:56 -0500
John Andersen wrote:
> On Sunday 24 December 2006 21:14, John E. Perry wrote:
>> Just two problems: first, I took others' advice again to switch from
>> Reiser to ext3fs,
>
> Precisely who gave you that bum advice?
> There is no reason what so ever to switch filesystems on
> an existing partition which you had no desire to reformat anyway.

OK, advice is too strong a word. Since suse switched over to making
ext3 the default, rather than reiser3, there have been many posts on
this list telling about Reiser 3 corrupting data, sometimes recoverable,
sometimes not. The message I got was not to change unless there was
good reason.

So, two weeks ago, I got what I see as good reason -- my / partition was
suddenly unavailable after a zen update. fsck.reiser brought everything
back, but that's what finally made install 10.2 (which everyone is
saying is much better than 10.1 (my experince agrees).

So, when it offered to format the /, /var, and /home partitions, I let
it do / and /var.

--

John Perry