Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse and why not stay, The Linux Wall
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 11:37:32 -0800
On Monday 25 December 2006 11:23, Mike wrote:
> On Monday 25 December 2006 20:16, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > Hell, the lowly bicycle is now a high-tech device! The same is true
> > for very many objects and infrastructural elements.
>
> Naa. I've still got an old single speed wide handlebar, saddle seat
> bike that I ride frequently.. It still works, and I can still buy
> tires for it. I mainly use it when I need a real workout.. ;-)

Being able to buy the stuff is not the point. When you do that you're
relying on knowledge you don't possess.

Could you fabricate any of those replacement parts or even minimally
functional substitutes? Do you even know how a coaster brake works?
Could you create ball or roller bearings for the wheels and bottom
bracket? Could you produce a drive chain? What about the seat cushion?
An inner tube? A spoke?

If you're seriously denying that something as mundane as a bicycle, even
if it's a single-speed, mass-market kids bike from 30 years ago is not
a high-tech device whose continuing operation is heavily dependent on
items whose creation involves a wide range of technical specialties and
raw materials from all over the world, then you're deluding yourself.

> Mike

RRS