Re: [opensuse] 'Goes along with those mad at Novell/SUSE and leave.
  • From: Robert Smits <bob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 08:24:24 -0800

> > Joe is absolutely correct to be worried about the future viability of
> > Linux software. Of course, it's not game over today, but if you've
> > looked at the implications of a future where every device, every
> > piece of hardware has to meet DRM specifications or the media will
> > not play he's correct to be worried.
>
> There's a tremendous range of applications that have nothing to do with
> media. And there's a lot of media that is not now released under DRM
> and there will continue to be a lot of it.
>
> Every paragraph of your reply except one mentions DRM! If you see the
> entire issue of open computing platforms as one and the same with DRM,
> then you're not going to be able to properly and comprehensively
> address issues of equal and open access to computing.

Of course it's not only DRM! It's DRM, software patents, proprietary software,
copyright legislation and a whole host of things that have the potential to
really screw up the future. It's not going to go away simply because you
choose to ignore it.

I'm optimistic that the world will see through these various schemes to
harness us all to the proprietary world, but we need to be paying attention.
I fear some of us are still comfortably asleep.

--
Bob Smits