Re: [opensuse] 'Goes along with those mad at Novell/SUSE and leave.
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 10:25:59 -0500

> > Joe is absolutely correct to be worried about the future viability of
> > Linux software. Of course, it's not game over today, but if you've
> > looked at the implications of a future where every device, every
> > piece of hardware has to meet DRM specifications or the media will
> > not play he's correct to be worried.
>
> There's a tremendous range of applications that have nothing to do with
> media. And there's a lot of media that is not now released under DRM
> and there will continue to be a lot of it.
>
> Every paragraph of your reply except one mentions DRM! If you see the
> entire issue of open computing platforms as one and the same with DRM,
> then you're not going to be able to properly and comprehensively
> address issues of equal and open access to computing.

My apologies for tacking this onto your article, Randall.

One ought to seriously consider that there are those Windows users who
don't want DRM laden technology stopping them from doing what they want.
The market has yet to through it's weight around on this issue, I
suspect that is mostly because it is unaware of alternatives.