Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 23:29:01 -0500
On Sat December 23 2006 11:47 pm, John Andersen scratched these words
onto a coconut shell, hoping for an answer:
> On Saturday 23 December 2006 18:26, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> > Your Mplayer was uninstalled
> > because of legal reasons, and Novell/SuSE cannot do much about
> > that, if they want to protect their asses and yours from some
> > rather expensive lawsuits.

> Actually, that is not exactly true.
>
> Novell does not un-install software to protect 3rd party patents.
>
> His Mplayer was un-installed because its dependencies could not
> be met. Its that simple. Leaving it there would result in an
> Mplayer that was horribly broken.
>
> Newer versions of pre-requsits or needed libraries were installed
> but these could not support mplayer.
>
> The two options presented were for him to DECLINE the upgrade, or
> go ahead with it and re-install his 3rd party stuff again afterwards.
>
> And the installer DOES indeed ask that question, showing those
> packages that can't be updated.

And to sum up once again ( I guess repetitition does nothing for some
people) DO NOT UPGRADE that way.. create a separate /home area which
you almost never will have to touch again. And then install every new
version you get onto a clean drive. It weeds out the cr@p you install
just fooling around.

After that, as others have said, go to packman and download various bits
needed to get your Mplayer or anything else to work again. takes less
time than being angry that it doesn't conform to MS versions . W/ the
10.2 various package managers, you can put it on auto and like WIndows
you will never know what was installed. Pick your poisen.

If you are truely leaving, that is sad, because you will miss making
your computer the safest one about. Security really is *THE* most
important thing to us.. after that, we get stuff working again that
might have been broken.

In fact that was the reason it seems there are so many updates.
Security, things get found after the box has been sent off to the
printer. We *could* just leave the back doors and coding mistakes in it
and deny they are even there. Instead they work really hard the whole
time to fix everything. And BTW , unless you are a corporate user it's
basically free for you.

You *do* realize you are using 10.2 before the box hits the shelves, do
you not?
;)
ooh Santa !