Re: [opensuse] 'Goes along with those mad at Novell/SUSE and leave.
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 19:39:49 -0800

> Unfortunately, it's not about being mainstream anymore - at this
> point, it's about viability, period.
>
> If linux can't achieve enough of a critical mass on the desktop to
> matter, microsoft will be able to leverage control of all the
> onramps, so to speak, to the "information highway", and then it's
> game over. Unless of course, you're content to use linux on a
> hobbyist basis, without meaningful access to the most internet
> content, constituting nothing more than small islands of hopeless,
> irrelevant rebellion in a microsoft world.

Can you define what you mean when you say:

- "enough of a critical mass"
- "to matter"
- "leverage control"
- "onramps to the information highway"
- "game over"
- "meaningful access"
- "most internet content"
- "islands"
- "hopeless, irrelevant rebellion"
- "microsoft world"

Suffice it to say I consider that paragraph to be nearly devoid of
meaning. However, you may very well have a future in one of these
domains:

- Marketing communications
- Public Relations
- Generic vacuous persuasion
- Elective representative in the U.S.A.

Anyway, I don't believe that desktop acceptance has anything to do with
Linux's long-term viability. One simple example among many, the fact
that Amazon.com runs almost all of it's on-line systems using Linux, is
enough to show that Linux has a secure future.

Software development is far more efficient under Linux or other
Unix-oriented systems. The only time one would use Windows is when
writing Windows-specific software.

The personal computing world will not end if Linux does not gain some
minimal market- or "mind-" share. Look at the Macintosh. It has a small
minority of the installed base of personal / desktop and server
systems. But it remains eminently viable.

The sky is not falling on Linux.

> Joe

Randall Schulz