Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 13:26:47 -0800
On Saturday 23 December 2006 17:14, John wrote:
> I'll tell you what this patent protection did for me.
>
> I had a nearly fully functioning SUSE 10.0 system. I never could get the
> nVidia driver to install and work for 3D video, although it worked fine
> in SUSE 9.2 Professional.

Sounds like a personal problem to me....PEBCEK anyone?

> I made the mistake of upgrading to openSUSE 10.2 and now I'm regretting
> it big time. Mplayer was uninstalled by the upgrade, and none of my
> multimedia apps work cause of file format patents, from what I can tell
> by the big warning about patents on a Novell web page. I never saw or
> heard a peep out of Novell about patents before this Microsoft "deal". I
> think Novell got shafted by Microsoft. Time will tell, especially if MS
> ends up acquiring Red Hat (heaven forbid the financial experts are wrong).

Sigh, another crossover loser from COLA...

...though I agree that Novell should show some cajones and provide multimedia
in their system like Xandros does, it really isn't a big deal. I mean, take
a stock verson of WinXP or Vista and see what happens when you stick a
commercial Region 1 DVD in.

<insert Jepardy music here>

As anyone can tell you, getting popular codes to play multimedia takes about
five minutes of your time.

http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/suse/desk_dvd_lg.jpg

http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/suse/desktop+mp3.jpg

http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/suse/2006/happyfeet1.jpg

This has been true of any version since I started using SUSE during 9.1 days.

> Why in the heck did openSUSE 10.2 have to remove a perfectly functioning
> Mplayer and leave me with a broken Kaffeine (which worked great before)
> and broken Noatun and broken XMMS, etc. I can't play any video formats
> now or burn any CDs. This is really pitiful.

Again, PEBCEK - you screwed up.

Too bad...

..so sorry.

> I'm really disgusted with what this upgrade has done. And why so many
> file updating programs? There's Yast, Yum, Smart, openSUSE Update,
> Synaptic, and a few more I can't remember at the moment. How in the
> world is a Windows user ever gonna convert and deal with so many
> choices?

I did.

My mom did.

My wife is in the process.

Not too hard.

> The strangest thing of all is how the documentation compares
> Smart to Yast and Yum and shows how superior it is to both. Then why
> include Yast and Yum anymore? Just provide Smart package manager and be
> done with it. Package management in Linux leaves a lot to be desired,
> compared to Windows Add/Remove Program and Setup programs.

Linux = choices.

Hey, some people even like the command line - or worse - Gnome. What can I
say?

> Is Windows ready for prime time? I wish, but unfortunately, that's
> not the present situation.

fixx0red your post.

--
kai

a turn signal is a statement, not a request