Re: [opensuse] how to install usb external disk
  • From: Primm <lynn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 20:30:39 +0100
On Sunday 24 December 2006 14:44, Basil Chupin wrote:
> Primm wrote:
> >> So what you are saying is that you got this disc manager from the HD
> >> manufacturer and it would not recognise the new drive you just bought?

> >> Well whose a lucky boy then? :-) .
> >>
> >> Tell us the outcome of this venture. (I always like to know the results
> >> for future reference.)
> >>
> >> Cheers.
> >
> > I exchanged the disk having seen the other fail under their XP test box
> > and made them show me the new one being recognised. I plugged it in to my
> > 10.2 server and it worked without me having to do anything apart from
> > destroy the ntfs it was filled with. I have other questions now in the
> > 'usb external disk questions' thread.
>
> Now this is most unusual to have a faulty HD for sale. Most unusual.
>
> If the new one is the same brand as the faulty one then I wouldn't put
> anything of value on this new one but use it for a month before putting
> any 'real' data on it -- I think you said you bought it for backup
> purposes. If an HD is going to fail it usually fails within a month. The
> worry here is that if the new one is the same brand as the failed on
> then it may be possible that both come from the same (bad) batch. May
> not be the case of course but I, personally, would play it safe and not
> use it for the backups - unless the backups are not that important if
> the HD fails and has to be replaced.
>
> > Thanks for your help and interest.
>
> Thanks for letting me know about the outcome.
>
> Cheers.

No problem. That's good advice. I shall keep up my (now laborious) backups of
my server to DVD media and a little used client on the lan meanwhile going.
The disk itself shows as a Samsung which I believe to be quite reliable. The
main reason for this is the time consuming nature of tar'ring 12 or so GB of
data to dvd and being able to remove it easily from the premises.

Cheers, Steve.