Re: [opensuse] So long. Was:Goodbye to suse
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:47:23 -0600
On Saturday 23 December 2006 21:05, Michael S. Dunsavage wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 20:39 -0600, Rajko M. wrote:
> > > Package management in Linux leaves a lot to be desired,
> > > compared to Windows Add/Remove Program and Setup programs.
> >
> > Who has desire for the license fees?
>
> Yast did a nice job for me when I wanted fonts and other certain
> programs removed.

Mike,

leaving financial point and your sting for a moment, let me explain my
experience.

The packaging system like rpm or deb are in function and intentions similar to
windows Add/Remove Program, but due to difference in operating system design
and distribution, software vendor attempt to change libraries used by all
programs will not pass unnoticed. That is big difference to windows and it is
nothing to desire.

Apparent simplicity for user of installation is not the only criteria that is
used to evaluate software management. What happens during and after
installation, as well removal is also important.

Windows Add/Remove Program never warned me that one program is installing
system wide library that should not be touched by anyone except operating
system vendor, as other software vendors use published specifications to
design their products.

How many times programs left junk hanging around using system resources,
because of sloppy defined unistall procedure.

--
Regards, Rajko.
http://en.opensuse.org/MiniSUSE