Re: [opensuse] usb external disk questions
On Sun, 2006-12-24 at 14:39 +0100, Primm wrote:
> On Sunday 24 December 2006 14:15, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> [12-24-06 07:31]:
> > > the better way is to name the partition (label), so that
> > > it's mounted in /media/<name>
> > >
> > > however, I don't remember exactly how to name it :-(
> >
> > The YasT Partition Editor can do it.
>
> As it stands, /media/disk doesn't exist until I plug in the external disk.
> That is what yast chose as a mount point when I formatted it (it had ntfs to
> begin with). Is what you are saying to create a permanent directory called
> <name> under the /media directory? Confused.
>
> My main concern is that the mount point will always be the same every time I
> plug it in. In my case /media/disk Or will it change depending upon what else
> is plugged in? I need to write a script to rsync to it and so need to have a
> fixed mount point.
>
> Cheers, Steve.

You may wish to set the label on the device
http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/10/07/suse-automatically-mount-usb-hard-drives/ is a starting point. This is always mount the device the way you want it to be.

You can also set the label using YaST. YaST | System | Partitioner.
Here, edit the label and you should be good to go. I suggest you
unmount & remount the drive to be safe.

Rich

--

GPG/PGP Key Id: 1B257AEC from pgp.mit.edu

Remember, all Windows machines are, by definition, fault tolerant.

They run Windows don't they!!