Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:23:28 -0600
On 2006-12-23 22:47, John Andersen wrote:
> On Saturday 23 December 2006 18:26, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
>
>> Your Mplayer was uninstalled
>> because of legal reasons, and Novell/SuSE cannot do much about that, if
>> they want to protect their asses and yours from some rather expensive
>> lawsuits.
>>

> Actually, that is not exactly true.
>
> Novell does not un-install software to protect 3rd party patents.
>
> His Mplayer was un-installed because its dependencies could not
> be met. Its that simple. Leaving it there would result in an Mplayer
> that was horribly broken.

Quite true. I was very hasty in sending out my note, because I am
growing very weary of seeing this same junk over and over again. As
usually happens when one is overly hasty, the result was very misleading.

However, I disagree that it's -quite- that simple. I didn't check the
repository previously, but it seems that mplayer is not even included in
the 10.2 distribution. Novell certainly is not in any legal position to
distribute a great deal of the necessary support that mplayer needs,
which is probably behind a decision not to include it at all. Mplayer is
a very popular product, and I doubt/hope it would not have been excluded
from SuSE for any other reason.

The end result is, of course, still the same: An existing package cannot
be upgraded, resulting in dependency conflicts, hence no alternative
exists but to remove it.